Welcome to Castlecoote House
Castlecoote House offers the visitor a chance to stay in a beautiful restored early Georgian Palladian mansion built on the grounds of a ruined 16th century castle. It has been lovingly restored by some of Ireland’s finest craftsmen. The result is a romantic hideaway which combines elegant 18th century architecture, beautiful Georgian features, fine plaster work ceilings and marble fireplaces with the 21st century luxuries of whirlpool spa baths and under floor heating.
The house is in a beautiful location, set amid woodlands with the river Suck flowing beside it. It is a perfect location for anglers as the river Suck is renowned for its trout and coarse fishing. Nearby is the Suck Valley Way, a series of scenic, tranquil walk ways along the banks of the river Suck.
Castlecoote House is the home of the Percy French Festival, an annual event that takes place each year celebrating the works of William Percy French, a famous Roscommon entertainer and songwriter. This years Percy French Festival takes place from the 5th-7th July (download the 2017 brochure).
History of Castlecoote House
Castlecoote House is situated on the site of a medieval castle, thought to have been built between 1570 and 1616. It was a strategic site, and may have been the base of the Chieftains of Fuerty, the MacGeraghty clan. In 1616 it fell into the hands of Sir Charles Coote. The castle was attacked three times by the confederate forces in the 1640’s. For more history on the house, click here.
Bed and breakfast accommodation is provided in five spacious luxurious en-suite rooms and the house is also available for private rental. Castlecoote House has a Games Room with full size snooker table and there are two new tennis courts with a chalet serving as a club house.
Take a look at the video below to explore the beauty of Castlecoote House
Castlecoote is known for its beautiful gardens and is a member of the Ireland-West Garden Trail. Guided tours of the gardens, which include an orchard of rare apple trees, the towers of the Medieval castle, a Medieval Bridge and an ice house are offered by appointment.
Open for guided tours from March to October.
Monday to Sunday from 2pm-6pm
Contact Kevin Finnerty
Tel: +353 (0)90 6663794
For more information